Tuesday 17 May 2016

Oops....I accidentally opened a tea room : Part one



"I've seen a shop" I said to my husband on his return home from a busy day of Radiography-ing at a local-ish hospital.

"Right" he replied carefully with a suspicious narrowing of the eyes whilst trying to simultaneously  get a grasp of both the situation and of our youngest son who was hugging (neck locking) him."When you say you have 'seen' a shop...?"

Me:  "It's up for lease.  The gift shop.  Just up on Baslow Road.  At the top of Main Street.  Next to the hairdressers.  Across the road from the Farm Shop who catered the pie and pea supper for our wedding.  I only went in to have a look.  I was on the way home from the school run and there was a sign that said 'TO LET'.

The Husband:  "OK".

Me:  "There's so much more space on offer than you might expect.  It's not just the one room where the shop is, they also have an office attached and there's a little yard outside and a fancy garage space that is being used as a store room.  You could do so many different things with the 'bits'.  I can see how it would work as a tea room and gift shop.  I mean, I know I've always said that I would NEVER want to run a café or anything but it was there with the 'TO LET' sign and I was passing by on my way back from school this morning and just thought I'll go and have a quick look....you know, like when you're out shopping and you're not really looking to buy anything but you see THE perfect dress only it's a bit pricey and you know you can't really afford it and so you just try it on anyway 'cos chances are it will look bad on you and so you can just walk away from it knowing it never was actually THE perfect dress and then you need never think about that dress again".

The Husband (slightly bewildered by my onslaught):  "Right.  Ok.  So, you went to have a look at the shop?"

Me: " I did. Just out of interest to have a look round and to find out how much it is and everything.  Just so that I can then walk away from it knowing it isn't 'doable'.  I mean, I know it's not something we have been planning to do necessarily (at all) but it's not often local shops come up situated right between your own home and your youngest child's school....in the ONLY place you could currently consider opening up a tea room or something and still being able to have a life".

The Husband: "So, are we saying that even though you NEVER want to run a café we are might be looking to open up a tea room"?

Me: "Hmmm...when you put it like that I guess that yes, maybe that is what we are looking to do. SURPRISE!".

No comments:

Post a Comment